Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Author Timothy N. Stelly

Bio
Timothy N. Stelly is a poet, essayist, novelist and screenwriter from northern California . His novel, HUMAN TRIAL, is the first part of a sci-fi trilogy and is available from Amazon.com, allthingsthatmatter press.com and in e-book format at mobipocket.com. HUMAN TRIAL II: ADAM’S WAR is pending review and editing. Stelly also has a short story included in the AIDS-themed anthology, THE SHATTERED GLASS EFFECT, due out in February 2010. His story, SNAKES IN THE GRASS, Is a tale of love, betrayal and its deadly consequences. Reviews of HUMAN TRIAL can be read at amazon.com
What genre do you consider yourself?
HT and HTII are sci-fi, the first two parts of a trilogy. My usual fare is urban drama (not street lit, though I’ve dabbled in it), and I write what I call ‘hip-hop political satire.’
Give us a synopsis of your most recent book in 3 paragraphs or less
This end-of-the-world tale focuses on race and group dynamics, as a small band of humans seeks to survive a thermal warfare attack by intergalactic invaders use. The results leave the earth scorched and devoid of nearly all human and animal life. A scattershot group of survivors (who dub themselves “Mulholland’s Mad Dogs”), must work as one to not only endure the altered climate, but ward off marauders, rabid animals and overcome their own fears and prejudices.
The group discovers that they are test subjects in an alien experiment and that they must wrest the fate of mankind from the hands of otherworldly beings.  Following the fierce leadership of Daron Turner and his pregnant co-worker Regina Jackson, this eclectic mix of humanity struggles to find essentials such as food, shelter, defense and electrical power. The group includes Dan, a committed do-as-your-told type; gangbanger Melvin Hicks; Rocks and Ray Earl--escaped prison inmates; a Christian couple; Barbara--a tough-talking widow, and several others. 
        The final confrontation mandates that the earth residents fight to protect their future: Regina ’s unborn child.

Titles of all of your books
Human Trial (2009, All Things That Matter Press), Human Trial II: Adam’s War (2010, All Things That Matter Press), and two books by PublishAmerica that are no longer in print that have been revised and will be self-published at a future date.

What made you decide to become an author?
I’ve liked writing since I was a child, but didn’t get serious about publishing until I was 42. I had just gone through a very traumatic phase in my life and joined two writer’s groups so I could learn the nuances of my craft and “step up my game.”

What do you enjoy most about being an author?
A sense of accomplishment, whether or not friends and family understand my motivation. Some  people create cakes, clothing styles and whatnot. I create life stories in short bursts.

If you could meet one author, who would it be?
I would have to go back in time to meet my favorite writer, Richard Wright. The lone living writer I follow is Stephen King. I am also a fan of the late Donald Goines and the 19th century scribe Rene Guy De Maupassant.

How are you giving back to the literary community?
While I am not one who edits for a living, I know enough to help a fledgling writer polish their script and I have done a lot of that work pro bono or for little pay. I help other writers because there were many who helped me—such as E. Joyce Moore, Jackie Young, T.C. Matthews, Evelyn Palfrey, Minnie Miller and others too numerous to name.

Give one tip you would give new authors?
Write, even when you think you’re blocked. Go out of your genre and form. When I see a blank page that I have trouble filling, I might begin writing anagrams, haiku or anything short that challenges me and that might provide a spark. 

What is the biggest lesson you've learned since becoming an author?
Never attempt to edit your own work. Revise, rephrase, but leave the editing to the pros. He who edits his own work has a fool for a client.

What is the one thing that irks you about the literary industry?
The fact that there are so many scam artists lurking in the shadows ready to prey on writers who put their trust in bunco agents, editors and publishers.

Who, What, When and Where is your next event?
I will be speaking to the Friends of the Pittsburg and Antioch Libraries in May, after HUMAN TRIAL II: ADAM’S WAR is released. Other than that, I am doing several online radio interviews.

Suggest a preferred literary service.
Editing.

Where can readers find your work?
HT is available at amazon.com, barnesandnoble. com and allthingsthatmatter press.com, , as will HT II when it is released.

Contact info
stellyhumantrial. com
phone: (925) 473-0741






No comments:

Post a Comment